Saturday, April 07, 2012

Epic Relay

We didn't get into Hood to Coast this year so we signed up for the Epic Relay.  We had an an awesome team, the Dickinson family with a few honorary Dickinsons tacked on to fill up the team.  We were the BYU Pirates.  The relay was a 12 man relay of 178.16 miles from Lake Oswego to Eugene Oregon.  It was hot on my first leg (it got hotter) and began to rain on my last (the rain wasn't that bad).  Of course we got hardly any sleep in between legs but that's relays for ya.  We hung out at the Silverton City Park after our first run and played some frisbee (badly).  Afterwards I soaked my feet in the cold river and watched the local kids jump off the bridge.  Larry decided he'd regret not jumping so we gave it a try.  It was fun.




My first leg was not bad, a little hot though and I felt the hill.


The weather was nice for my second leg but I decided to get a nice side cramp and breathing didn't work out all that well.  I got to chase someone for the first third of the leg which was nice.  After passing him I crossed his van parked to offer him water...they got back at me for passing their runner by offering me a doughnut.  I could hardly squeak out a no-thank-you.  It did make me kinds sick to my stomach but don't think it slowed me down much :)

I ran my last and longest leg with a Garmin Forerunner watch.  It was fun...it would yell at me if my pace dropped below a 7min/mile and again if I was running to fast.  It also chirped at me each mile.  It was fun and a lot nicer (and smaller) than my GPS.  It started to sprinkle on my during my run...and turned into rain by the end.   I was happy with the last leg, I shot for a 7min pace but didn't quite make it.

I took a shower in a bathroom sink at Denny's after my last leg and got into some dry clothes.  I ate a peanut butter and jelly sandwich while the others ate plates of breakfast food.  Luckily I don't seem to get all that hungry after running.  When we were done there we went looking for a drug store to buy some Pepto-Bismol for some of the over zealous eaters.


We met up with the other van and they wanted us all to run the last leg with "Grandpa" Dickinson.  It was only 3.3 miles, but I was feeling nice and dry in my clothes and crocks.  My enthusiasm waxed and waned with the strength of the rain.  We ended up running the last mile as a team other than a few to drive the vans.  It was fun and I'm sure "Grandpa" Dickinson appreciated it.

No comments: